UPDATED: 5:34 PM CDT, Sun October 9, 2016
His Holiness Pope Francis today in Rome announced that Bishop Kevin J. Farrell is a cardinal-designate and will be among the 17 new cardinals to be created at the consistory on November 19, 2016 at the Basilica of St. Peter in Vatican City.
Pope Francis at the end of his Angelus on Sunday announced the creation of 17 new Cardinals. A consistory will be held on the 19 of November, the eve of the closing of the Jubilee of Mercy.
13 of the new Cardinals will be under 80 years and will be eligible to vote in a conclave.
The Holy Father said that the those chosen come from five continents. They include three American Archbishops and Archbishops from Mauritius and Bangladesh.
Below find the list of new Cardinals
- Archbishop Mario Zenari, Italy
- Archbishop Dieudonné Nzapalainga, Central African Republic
- Archbishop Carlos Osoro Sierra, Spain
- Archbishop Sérgio da Rocha, Brazil
- Archbishop Blase J. Cupich, U.S.A.
- Archbishop Patrick D’Rozario, Bangladesh
- Archbishop Baltazar Enrique Porras Cardozo, Venezuela
- Archbishop Jozef De Kesel, Belgium
- Archbishop Maurice Piat, Mauritius
- Archbishop Kevin Joseph Farrell, U.S.A.
- Archbishop Carlos Aguiar Retes, Mexico
- Archbishop John Ribat, Papua Nuova Guinea
- Archbishop Mons. Joseph William Tobin U.S.A.
- Archbishop Anthony Soter Fernandez, Archbishop Emeritus of Kuala Lumpur Malaysia
- Archbishop Renato Corti, Archbishop Emeritus of Novara Italy
- Archbishop Sebastian Koto Khoarai, Bishop Emeritus of Mohale’s Hoek Lesotho
- Father Ernest Simoni, presbytery of the Archdiocese of Shkodrë-Pult, Scutari – Albania.