FULL News release Details
New Yearâ€™s Resolutions For Couples
Publish date: Thursday, December 27, 2012
What can you do for your marriage in 2013? Try making a New Year’s resolution to improve your relationship. Here are some ideas to get started:
- Schedule several “Date Nights” for the first few months of the year.
- Would you like to improve your communication skills? Start by taking one or more of our Marriage Quizzes.
- Draw up your 2011 household budget together. Discuss spending priorities, including charitable donations.
- Take turns selecting a favorite Scripture passage to pray about each week. Share your reflections with each other.
- Resolve to read at least one book on how to strengthen your relationship. Unsure where to start? Browse through the archived book reviews.
- Take part in parish-based or family activities to celebrate the Year of Faith. At home, regularly recite the Family Prayer for the Year of Faith.
- While it’s important to strengthen the marriage relationship, marriage is also a sacrament of service. It’s true that marriage benefits the couple, but it’s also good for their family, community, and the Church. Resolve to do at least one service activity this year, as a family or a couple. Perhaps it’s bringing canned goods to the local food pantry on a regular basis or helping out with a parish fundraising project.