FULL News release Details
How will CRS use financial donations to help victims of Super Typhoon Haiyan?
Publish date: Wednesday, November 13, 2013
Super Typhoon Haiyan, the equivalent of a Category 5 hurricane with sustained winds of 195 miles per hour, slammed into the Philippines on the island of Samar the evening of November 7, 2013, and hit Vietnam on Sunday, November 9. Thousands of people are feared dead, and local officials report approximately 9.5 million people have been affected.
Catholic Relief Services, in cooperation with their partners, is tirelessly providing 100,000 families with shelter, essential living supplies and clean water and sanitation.
Question: How will CRS use financial donations?
Response from Michele Broemmelsiek, vice president, overseas operations, Catholic Relief Services:
Here are some examples of how cash donations will help to serve people in need. These represent the actual costs to buy the items listed and do not include all of the associated costs to deliver the assistance.
Note: 93% of all money donated goes directly to assist the typhoon victims.
- $8 provides a water kit for a family. This includes one jerry can, one pail and aqua tabs for water purification.
- $15 provides an emergency shelter kit. This includes tarps and nails that are combined with local materials to create emergency shelter.
- $22 provides household living supplies. This includes sleeping mats, three blankets, utensils, plastics, glasses and a cooking pot.
- $28 provides hygiene kits. This includes a two-month family supply of soap, laundry detergent, toothbrush, toothpaste, feminine sanitary napkins and towels.
- $50 provides agricultural and livelihood support. This includes seeds, tools, materials and training for families to recover their land and assets, grow food and earn an income.
- $400 provides transitional shelters. This includes durable materials suitable for the local environment to help families construct shelters that can be expanded or converted into permanent homes.
Please Note: Dollar amounts cover items only. They do not include costs associated with distribution, training and monitoring.
Media Request Contact
Annette Gonzales Taylor
Director of Communications
Resources for covering the Catholic Church
Full Resolution Images & Graphics