FULL News release Details
Bishop Lynch High School Celebrates Fifty Years
Publish date: Tuesday, September 3, 2013
Bishop Lynch High School, the largest private school in the state of Texas, will celebrate fifty years as a college preparatory institution rich in tradition and history through events held throughout the 2013-2014 school year.
The year-long celebration will commence on Wednesday, September 4, 2013, to commemorate the opening of the school on Wednesday, September 4, 1963. Students, faculty, staff and guests are invited to celebrate Mass on campus with Bishop Kevin Farrell of the Diocese of Dallas and Bishop Michael Duca (BLHS class of 1970) of the Diocese of Shreveport .
The festivities will continue with a football game at 7:30 pm on Friday, September 6th at Roffino Stadium between the Friars of Bishop Lynch and the Friars of Fenwick High School located just outside of Chicago in Oak Park, IL. These two schools have quite a history, sharing school colors, mascot, motto and their Dominican heritage. Many of the founding faculty and staff of Bishop Lynch were clergy – both priests and nuns – from Fenwick High School. The game will be a spirited competition highlighting the schools’ common histories and sharing memories between the past, present and future Friars!
Wednesday – September 4th – 50th Anniversary Kickoff Celebration
- 9:00 am - 9:25 am Students begin to arrive on campus in full uniformVideo broadcast in each classroom prior to assembling for Mass
- 10:00 am All-School Mass – BL gymnasium
- 11:35 am - 2:10 pm All-School Lunch (under home bleachers)Activity Day for students - Inflatable Derby Races, Obstacle Course, Bounce House
- 3:00 pm – 3:36 pm All-School Christian Speaker Al Fike in gymnasium
Friday, September 6th – Fenwick Friday
- 3:00 pm All-School Pep-Rally – featuring Cheer, Brigade, Band, Football Team, etc.
- 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm All-Community Tailgate in Roffino Stadium – South “D” Zone
- Opportunities for: “Alumni Walk Down Memory Lane,” “Third Generation Friars” and “Looking Into the Next 50 Years”
First Year of Operation: 1963
Colors: Black and White
Catholic Order: Dominican
Named for: Joseph Patrick Lynch
Media Request Contact
Annette Gonzales Taylor
Director of Communications
Resources for covering the Catholic Church
Full Resolution Images & Graphics