FULL News release Details
Annual Collection for Diocesan Priests Retirement Plan/ Priesthood Sunday - October 26/27, 2013
Publish date: Friday, October 18, 2013
Priesthood Sunday, the last Sunday of October, is a special day set aside to honor the priesthood in the United States. It is a day to reflect upon and affirm the role of the priesthood in the life of the Church as a central one. This is also the day when the Diocese of Dallas collects funds for the Diocesan Priests Retirement Plan.
- 209 priests serve over a million Catholics in the Diocese of Dallas
- 7 priests over the age of 70 continue in full time ministry
- 26 priests are retired, and of those, 14 retired priests help weekly with Masses and Confessions, while 12 are fully retired.
The Diocese of Dallas is committed to caring for our retired priests. Please support our retired priests by contributing generously to the second collection on October 26/27, 2013.
The lay faithful of all parishes in the country develop their own special way of marking the day and honoring their parish priests both at Mass and other parish events, such as social celebrations and school activities.
Priesthood Sunday was designed to be an event led by the laity, but your parish priest can participate by talking about how he experienced and answered his own calling, the need for vocations to keep the priesthood vital, and about priests who have inspired him.
Priesthood Sunday will also offer an opportunity for priests and their parishioners to build a stronger working relationship for the future. Together, they can dialogue to take an honest look at the challenges of the future and how they can collaborate to meet those challenges as a united force.
Remember in your prayers our active and retired priests in the Diocese of Dallas.
- Priesthood Sunday/Annual Collection for Diocesan Priests Retirement Fund Poster (PDF)
- Prayer for Priest / Oración por los Sacerdotes (PDF)
- Blessing of a Priest by the Congregation (10/18/2013)