Job Opportunity Details
Campus Minister for Community Building & Men’s Outreach
Hiring Location: Catholic Campus Ministry at SMU - Parish
Address: 3057 University Blvd., Dallas, TX 75205 (Map)
Job Type: Full Time
Hours: Sunday-Thursday, 9 AM - 10 PM
Weekends/OT Required: Often
Education Required: Bachelors Degree
Catholic Required: Yes
Bilingual Required: No
Catholic Campus Ministry at Southern Methodist University, a ministry of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Dallas, seeks a full-time campus minister whose primary responsibilities are to drive community building and men’s outreach through the visioning, planning, and execution of events and initiatives.
Employee is required to work every Sunday and typically has Fridays and Saturdays off. Some weekends will have ministry events.
Formation of Servant Leaders:
• Fosters an atmosphere of welcome and openness so that every student we encounter knows they are loved by God and our community
• Accompanies assigned member(s) of the Servant Leadership Council (SLC) throughout the year in an intentional relationship in order to form them as servant leaders of our community
• Creates a plan of formation with each assigned SLC Chair member and meets with them monthly to set goals and evaluate progress
• Attends monthly SLC meetings, and the beginning- and end-of-year Leadership Summits, empowering students in their facilitation of these meetings as applicable
• Continues one’s own process of formation as a servant leader through the creation and execution of a personal formation plan in collaboration with Associate Director of Ministry
• Forms and empowers the SLC “Community Building” Chair to lead and foster opportunities for community building among their peers.
• Creates and sustains the vision and goals for community building events throughout the year.
• Empowers student leaders and holds them accountable for planning, execution, and follow-up of community building events (such as SMUCUS, Mardi Gras, Fall/Spring fun events).
• Oversees beginning- and end-of-year events, initiatives, and celebrations (such as Back to School BBQ, Senior Appreciation Dinner, Graduation Weekend Mass & Lunch).
• Organizes staff-led initiatives (such as midnight breakfast during exams & Thanksgiving dinner).
• Takes the lead on outreach to Sunday Supper host for the coming week and serves as the point of contact the day of each Sunday Supper
• Forms and empowers the SLC “Men’s Outreach” Chair to evangelize and reach out to men the ministry currently isn’t engaging
• Forms and empowers the SLC “Men’s Outreach” Chair to deepen relationships with men already active in the ministry
• Serves as the staff contact for the Knights of Columbus
• Forms and empowers the Mustang Awakening Co-Chairs to lead the retreat in accordance with sound evangelical & catechetical principles in keeping with the Catechism of the Catholic Church
• Collaborates with Awakening Coordinators on team selection, retreat theme, meeting dates, agendas, post-retreat follow up
• Plans, facilitates, and executes the Awakening team overnight with coordinators and staff heads
• Reserves retreat center, priests, buses, etc. and serves as their point of contact
• Maintains budget, expenses, income, reimbursement for Awakening
• Collaborates with Staff Members assisting with Spiritual Formation, Marketing, and Registration
• Takes ownership of the vision for this event and works to instill this vision in accordance with sound evangelical & catechetical principles in keeping with the Catechism of the Catholic Church
• Invites, communicates with, and manages the musicians, priests, and speakers for each event
• Collaborates with fellow staff members and students on the promotion of event
• Works continually to expand the congregation, participation, and reach of this event
• Forms and empowers the SLC “Spirituality” Chair to cultivate the spiritual formation of students through devotions or additional programs and initiatives (i.e. Stations of the Cross, Rosary, Marian Consecration) in accordance with sound evangelical & catechetical principles in keeping with the Catechism of the Catholic Church
• Oversee the brainstorming, planning and execution of a spring retreat
Additional Roles & Expectations:
• Attends and engages students at the weekly Sunday Supper and other key ministry-wide events
• Participates in regular staff meetings and staff reading sessions
• Supports the ministry’s work of development, communication, and administration
• Manages budget and stewards financial and physical resources responsibly
• Attends & actively participates in monthly campus minister meetings held by SMU Chaplain’s Office and the Diocesan Office of Youth, Young Adult & Campus Ministries
• Assists with Adoration & Benediction twice a week.
• Other duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
• Sound knowledge and practice of evangelization, catechesis, doctrine, liturgy & sacraments, moral life, and prayer in keeping with the Catechism of the Catholic Church
• Strong oral and written communication skills
• Ability to work as a team player with staff, volunteers, and diocesan personnel
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Ability to empower and supervise student leaders
• Ability to honor and maintain confidentiality
• Event planning and execution skills
• Knowledge of music for Catholic liturgy preferred
• Ability to lead song instrumentally or vocally preferred
Education and Experience:
• Bachelor’s degree required, preferably in Theology/Religious Education from a Catholic institution of higher learning (Master’s Degree in Theology/Religious Education from a Catholic institution of higher learning preferred).
• One to three years’ experience in young adult or campus ministry preferred
• Event planning experience preferred
• Practicing Roman Catholic in good standing
Special Requirements & Expectations:
• Ability to work non-standard hours which will include weekends and some holidays
Name and Title: Fr. Wade Bass - Director and Chaplain of Catholic Campus Ministry at SMU
How to submit resume: Email
Approved - Yes