Job Opportunity Details
Catholic schools positions listed through this posting are non-teaching positions only. Teaching positions can be found on the Catholic Schools employment page.
Administrative Assistant for Faith Formation
Hiring Location: St. Mary Catholic Parish - Parish
Address: 727 S. Travis Street, Sherman, TX 75090 (Map)
Job Type: Part Time
Hours: 20 hours per week, most during the week and potentially every other Sunday morning.
Weekends/OT Required: Occasionally
Education Required: HS Diploma
Catholic Required: Yes
Bilingual Required: Preferred
The Administrative Assistant enables the Director of Faith Formation to maximize the quality of programs. This role requires a high level of initiative, judgment, organizational ability, and knowledge of the interrelated functions of the position and the parish. The role collaborates with the Director of FF, families, staff, volunteers, and clergy in a shared mission to nurture the children of our parishes to be missionary disciples of Jesus in our Catholic tradition.
We are seeking someone who is great at critical thinking, detail oriented and passionate about our Catholic faith.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of the Position:
• Responsible for database entry.
• Assist in creating Excel spreadsheets, typing and maintenance of files, photocopying and other clerical needs.
• Collaborate with FF Director to ensure data and reports on attendance, participation, and communication are available for review and action. Help maintain the integrity of information for participants.
• Assist families with program registration, answer emails and incoming calls.
• Serve as a witness of Jesus by accompanying and giving support to families.
• Inventory supplies and assist in prepping the supply needs of catechists and for other Faith Formation ministry events.
• Assists in facilitating the Safe Environment clearance for the FF volunteers.
• Participates in the worship life of the parish.
• Attends and participates in department and Church Staff Meetings
• Available several days during the week, potentially every other Sunday morning, and few times a year an evening or longer weekend, while respecting the 20 hour work week.
o During the week, work in FF office and in summer assist with Vacation Bible School.
o Rotating Sunday mornings assist in the FF office during children’s classes, lending support to teachers and families.
o Available occasionally on an evening or weekend to assist with large group events such as First Reconciliation, First Eucharist, Confirmation and retreats, if needed.
• Performs additional projects, duties and tasks as assigned, as tasks listed will vary at different times during the year.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Strong communication skills (verbal and written), bilingual (English/Spanish) preferred, to professionally communicate and represent the parish.
• Strong organizational skills, detail oriented, a self-starter and list maker.
• Proficiency in Microsoft software programs (Excel, Word, Publisher) and basic internet knowledge.
• Familiarity with navigating a database.
• Ability to handle multiple projects and deadlines.
• Understand the partnership of family, parish community and catechists.
• Principles of Catholic catechesis for youth.
• Active in the Roman Catholic faith and commitment to function in the manner consistent with the mission of the Roman Catholic Church. Leads a full sacramental life.
• Include awareness of ethnic and cultural sensitivity.
• Works well in collaborating efforts and has teamwork mentality.
• Promote and implement diocesan policies and guidelines regarding religious education.
Education, Certification and Experience:
• Some College education preferred.
• Prior experience with a parish Faith Formation program involving youth, a plus.
Name and Title: Dawn Purcell - Director of Faith Formation
Phone: 903-893-5148 ext 204
How to submit resume: Drop-off at location, Email
Approved - Yes