Job Opportunity Details
Hiring Location: Tribunal - Pastoral Center
Address: 3725 Blackburn St., Dallas, TX 75219 (Map)
Job Type: Full Time
Hours: Monday-Friday 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
Weekends/OT Required: No
Education Required: Masters Degree (Preferred)
Catholic Required: Yes
Bilingual Required: No
General Summary of the Position
Contributes to the delivery of canonical services required under Canon Law within the Roman Catholic Diocese of Dallas in order to fulfill the mission of the Tribunal; that is, the adjudication of petitions for invalidity of marriage; supervision of dispensations/permissions for the celebration of marriages in the church; and canonical research.
Carries out the office of Judge as described in the 1983 Code of Canon Law (cc. 135, §3; 391, §2; 1419; 1421; 1422, 1424; 1425; 1429; 1452; 1453; 1454; 1455; 1456; 1457; 1459, §1; 1461; 1494; 1495; 1512; 1608; 1609; 1610), in revisions to the 1983 Code of Canon Law under Mitis Iudex Dominus Iesus (cc. 1671-1691), in Dignitas Connubii (aa. 22-65; 65-75; 81-83; 185-214; 246-260; 279-290; and 295-299) and in Mitis Iudex Dominus Iesus (articles 1-21).
Interacts on a daily basis with the Assessor and collaborates with the Judicial Vicar, Adjutant Judicial Vicars, other Judges, Defenders of the Bond, Promoter of Justice, Auditors, and Ecclesiastical Notaries in canonical matters, particularly in the adjudication of matrimonial cases and the granting of dispensations/permissions for the celebration of marriages.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities of the Position
• Provides continuing education to the Diocese in Canon law.
• Travels in the Diocese to fulfill canonical responsibilities.
• Participates in the ongoing training and development of Tribunal officials.
• Participates in committees and associations to promote improvements in the delivery of canonical services.
• Is available to provide canonical consultation to the Diocesan bishop, other Diocesan officials, and the faithful of the Diocese, clergy or lay, as necessary.
• Ensures that a proper canonical library is maintained.
• Participates in annual canonical workshops for the purposes of continuing education.
• Serves on committees such as the Canonical Affairs Committee and boards when appointed to do so by the Diocesan Bishop.
• Collaborates with the Assessor so as to understand the managerial functions of the Tribunal.
• Serves as a consultant on maintaining sacramental records in the Diocese and in the parishes.
• Serves as Judge-Instructor, to include the proposal of grounds, the formulation of the doubt, gathering of declarations/testimonies of principals and witnesses by telephone, in person, and/or in writing, on nullity cases assigned to her/him.
• Serves as Associate Judge-Ponens, to include writing the decision, on nullity cases assigned to her/him.
• Other duties as assigned.
DO NOT REMOVE
This job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of the duties and responsibilities of the position. The duties and responsibilities of the position may be changed at the sole discretion of the Diocese of Dallas – Pastoral Center.
The Diocese of Dallas – Pastoral Center reserves the right to modify this job description without notice to the employee. This job description is not a contract and does not alter the employee’s at-will employment status.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Previous experience in Marriage Tribunal work a plus
• Established characteristics relative to integrity, courtesy and good reputation.
• Demonstrated initiative, good judgment and administrative ability.
• Proven negotiation and communication skills.
• Physically able to perform assigned duties.
• Good previous work record.
Education and Experience:
• Holds a license (JCL) in Roman Catholic Church Law from a pontifical faculty of Canon law.
• Previous experience in marriage tribunal work a plus
• Stays abreast of current canonical literature in regard, particularly, to marriage nullity cases.
• Member of the Canon Law Society of America (CLSA)
• Practicing Catholic
• Sufficient flexibility/tenacity to get the job done. The occupant of this exempt position is expected to do whatever it takes to accomplish the goals of this job, either onsite/offsite, with discretion of hours, schedules, etc., always with the understanding that all duties and responsibilities will be fulfilled in a consistently outstanding manner.
Physical Requirements Specific to the Job:
Name and Title: Erika Hernandez- Talent Acquisition Specialist
How to submit resume: Email
Approved - Yes