Within the Church's mission of evangelization, catechesis promotes and matures initial conversion, educates persons in the faith, and incorporates them into the life of the Christian Community.
National Directory for Catechesis 19 D
Programs of formation should be designed to help catechists acquire the knowledge and skills they need to hand on the faith to those entrusted to their care and assist them in living as disciples of Christ. NDC 55.A
Formation programs for catechists must include the three dimensions of Catechist Formation mentioned at General Directory of Catechesis No. 238.
Formation programs for catechists should prepare them to accomplish the Six Task of Catechesis
1. Promote knowledge of the faith – Teach the “basics” of the faith as revealed in the signs of creation, Sacred Scripture, Catholic tradition and human experience.
2. Liturgical Education – Teach about the form and meaning of the liturgy and the sacraments and help individuals prepare their minds and hearts to enter into these mysteries of our faith.
3. Moral Formation – Teach the moral teachings of the Church which are the fulfillment of the Commandments.
4. Teaching to Pray – Teach that a “climate of prayer” and participation in prayer invites individuals into a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
5. Education for Community Life – Teach that the human person needs to live in society. Society is not optional, but a requirement of human nature.
6. Missionary Initiative – Teach that all Christian service is an expression of love and is performed by Christians for the purpose of building up the Kingdom of God on earth.
The object of catechesis is communion with Jesus Christ
For more information regarding Formation and Certification, please contact:
Associate Director, Continuing Catechetical Formation
Disclaimer: External links provided by the Catholic Diocese of Dallas are provided solely for the user's convenience.
By providing these links, the Catholic Diocese of Dallas assumes no responsibility for, nor does it necessarily endorse, the website, its content, or sponsoring organizations.