704.1 Catechesis for Children's First Reception of the Eucharist and the Sacrament of Penance and Reconciliation. Catechesis in preparation for the first celebration of a sacrament is a graced opportunity to invite children and their families to a deeper experience of faith. This course is intended for program directors and catechists that prepare children for the first reception of the sacraments of Penance and Reconciliation and the Eucharist.
At the end of this course, participants will be able to:
- Understand the characteristics of effective catechesis for children's first reception of the Eucharist and the sacrament of Penance and Reconciliation
- Understand how children's cognitive, emotional, social and moral development affect learning and understanding of the topic
- Know the curriculum standards for Eucharist and First Penance and Reconciliation: objectives, concepts, Scripture passages and vocabulary.
- Utilize a variety of hands-on activities, music, movement, and art.
- Know how to discuss abstract concepts in a way children will understand
- Develop a catechetical session for the classroom, including ways to share share that lesson at home.