History of the Diocese of Dallas
Before the diocese was created the bishops of Galveston took care of the pastoral and spiritual needs of this area. Among the outstanding priests was Father Joseph Martiniere, who first served Dallas as a circuit riding priest from the mission station at St. Paul in Collin County, then as second pastor of Sacred Heart Church in Dallas. He would later become the diocese’s first vicar general. Msgr. Martiniere brought the first religious order, the Ursulines, to Dallas in 1874.